Problems with ALSA on 2.6 Kernel (Was: Has anyone gotten a 2.6 Kernel to build?)

John Lannon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 24 07:07:02 2004

Simon,

How did you get ALSA to run?

When I log in to a 2.6.x system, KDE always generates
a warning about /dev/dsp not existing (it does exist,
not sure if this is a permissions thing or not, I was
logged in as root).  This is true even if ALSA is
complied into the kernel (its a module in 2.6.3-ben2,
but compiled into 2.6.4).  Under 2.6.3-ben2, alsaconf
always errors out, unable to find rcalsasound.
alsasound is nowhere on the system.  The -lib and
-utils install went flawlessly, I think.  The alsa-lib
and utils were 1.0.3 the alsa kernel install indicated
1.0.2c.

I'm on an eMac with a built-in sound card.
/proc/asound/devices appears to identify it as a
PMac_Snapper whatever that is.

On the 2.4 kernels which use dmasound_pmac(?), sound
just works.

Thanks,

John