Check out AbiWord 2.1.1 ("Experimental") for Mac OS X (Panther)

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 07:49:05 2004

Friends:

For those of us who want better interoperability between our Mac OS X
and Linux environments, or who just want to be freed from the
vicissitudes of Microsoft (spit) Word, the wonderful folks at Abisource
have released a preview version of AbiWord 2.1.1 for Mac OS X:

<http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1706>
<http://www.abisource.com/download/development.phtml>

There is also a port of AbiWord available called XAbiWord that is the
"official binary release of AbiWord for MacOSX (or Mac OS X, if you
prefer)":

<http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/>

 From the ReadMe for AbiWord 2.1.1:

"AbiWord 2.1.1 for Mac OS X -- Warning: This software is a pre-release
software, it may not work as expected."

My limited testing confirms that there are many, many bugs, but I am
hopeful. The installation is drag-and-drop simple. Double-clicking on
the icon brings up the AbiWord splash screen and an untitled document.

I *like* the simple flat gray theme of the icons in this version of
AbiWord. It looks smooth and friendly, without being cartoonish.
Command-S for "Save" is not yet enabled, but "Save As..." works fine.

Menu selection is smooth and quick (*unlike* its major competitor --
*cough*), and changing a few Preferences did not cause a crash (I often
encounter Preference-related crashes in other beta software, sometimes
even in release software).

I was unable to change paragraph spacing from "Single" to "Exactly 14
pt" (my personal default for 12 point type); the paragraphs always
defaulted to an unreadable "1 pt." I could, however change the font from
"2004" (WTF?) to "Baskerville," and the font choice was reflected in the
document. Having two documents open at once seemed to inflict some
instability, and AbiWord crashed (leaving behind two documents, "AbiWord
test.abw," and "AbiWord test.abw.CRASHED").

Opening an RTF document (the ReadMe from XAbiWord) was misformatted but
readable.

Overall, I *LIKE* where this version of AbiWord seems to be going, and I
offer the greatest encouragement to the developers. With increased
stability and fixes to some of the features I use all the time (like
paragraph settings), I can imagine AbiWord becoming my default word
processor for Mac OS X.

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: