help booting CD ROM ... over and over...and over again

Sanders, Rob M. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 08:29:01 2004

I think the issue with the resolution was fixed.  My dual g5 boots up=20
in 1600x1200@16bit under Panther (10.3.2) and I can install the lastest
ISO's without resetting the resolution.  I *did* have this problem with
one of the earlier ISO's, back in the November/December 2003 timeframe.

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Felix Jodoin
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:59 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: help booting CD ROM ... over and over...and over again

That actually happened to me on an iMac 333mhz... I have Panther. What=20
I did to fix that is first of all, switch OS X into 800x600  (not my=20
idea, didn't have to), shut the computer off (no reboot) and unplug=20
every device but the keyboard. Then, start it up and keep holding the c=20
key until the boot prompt screen appears, at what point you should plug=20
everything back in.
-AliasN

On 22-Mar-04, at 6:12 PM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:

> --- ghannon@cspi.com wrote:
>>
>> There is a legitimate problem with booting the 3.0.1  CD on a G5.
>> I've written to TerraSoft to say that they should at least
>> acknowledge this on this list, even if there is not a solution yet.
>>
>> It's not that the CD was not produced/downloaded/burned wrong or
>> anything like that.  It's not a usage problem; holding down the
>> C key is fairly straight-forward.
>>
>> One by one people are getting their G5's, some may work and others
>> may not and until what is wrong is figured out this list will be
>> the place
>> where
>> dialogue takes place.    If we can't get past the CD won't boot
>> stage,
>> that's
>> what the emails will be about.
>>
>> This is not a manual issue.
>> It's not a Toast issue.  (Media-check is OK, installed on a G4
>> system )
>> It just may well be another NVidia issue.
>> A Ben H kernel may be required before this one is put to rest.
>>
>> I would gladly buy someone a Pizza and a beer if they could get
>> an install CD to work in my G5 system.
>> (Mountain Dew if you're underage.)
>>
>> Gary Hannon
>
> If your OS X is set to any rez other than 800x600 resolution, the YDL
> installer won't boot and produces a kernel panic. Setting the
> resolution in OSX to 800x600 resolved this issue.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Norberto Quintanar
> --http://www.geocities.com/nquintanar

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> =
site:terrasoftsolutions.com'