gentoo

Larry Autry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 08:41:02 2004

> From: Ed Sutherland <digital@twcny.rr.com>
> Date: 2004/03/23 Tue AM 07:58:13 CST
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: RE: gentoo
>
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:30:25 -0600, Larry Autry wrote:
>
> > It only took a glance at the Gentoo install doc to help me decide not to
> > install Gentoo. The document does not read like an install guide as does
>
> YDL is certainly not in the same league as Gentoo. Gentoo
> is much more technical, the reason for the reference
> guide. I prefer to have all the details at hand when I
> have questions. But to each his own: one of the
> great parts of having so many distros.
>
> Ed
The Gentoo documentation is definately more technical-- as a s/w engineer might write it. To me that only proves that Gentoo is more difficult to install and more programming effort has been invested in YDL in helping the installer.

SuSE is one distro that is VERY nice to install on an x86 box. Unfortunately, SuSE appears to have dropped support for the PPC. However, they have just opened up YAST2 code. When I installed SuSE, I didn't need a manual. (Except for wireless headaches!) I also didn't worry about RPM availability. That is the kind of value I'd like to see in a distro. If you can say truthfully that Gentoo offers on PPCs what SuSE does on the x86, I'll take on the challenge of trudging through their documentation.

Larry Autry