Firebird browser... Where can I get a YDL compatible version?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 00:24:01 2004

Andrew:

Andrew wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:03, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>> Installing an rpm package (such as the Firefox) is
>> only slightly harder, but there are a few gotchas
>> (for instance, I have learned to type "rpm -Uvh
>> packagename" to install a package that way, but I
>> don't know what the magic "Uvh"incantation
>> accomplishes).
>
> Please, let me add some more precisions. "rpm -Uvh packagename" mean rpm
> -(U)pdate (v)erbose (h)ash marks (Uvh...) while "rpm -ivh packagename"
> mean rpm -(i)nstall (v)erbose (h)ash marks. If you are UPDATING a
> package use "rpm -Uvh packagename" but if you want to INSTALL a package
> use "rpm -ivh packagename"

Excellent, thanks! I knew that someone more knowledgeable on this list
would come to my rescue. I recall trying to read the man pages for rpm,
and I recall being completely unable to determine how to install a
package from those pages. "Wow," I thought, "look at all the things I
could do with rpm. Now, I wonder which one I *should* do?"

As I have said before, trying to learn Linux from the man pages is like
trying to learn a foreign language by reading a dictionary -- a
dictionary consisting only of verb infinitives, at that.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint