MOL ROM for New World OS on Old World Mac's

David C. Hacker, DVM yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 5 21:47:01 2004

When you use tomeviewer you open the Mac OS ROM Update 1.0.smi with
tomeviewer.  That is where the mac rom file is.  Don't try to install
the ROM update at all just open it to get the ROM file out with
tomeviewer and copy it to your system folder.  Then you should be able
to boot in MOL.  As far as installing OS 9 in MOL, at a command prompt
type startmol --cdboot while the mac os 9 cd is in the drive and it
will boot up the mac os install cd.  Then you can just do an update of
your system and it will install the rom file for you, or you can
install a whole new system folder if you like.
David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179
On May 5, 2004, at 7:12 AM, Eric Schwarzkopf wrote:

> Yes I have been to maconlinux.orf, and I have seen those files (Mac OS
> ROM
> Update 1.0.smi; and TomeViewer) and have even downloaded them on to my
> Mac
> (OS9.x side), and both do not seem to work, if I recall the Mac OS ROM
> Update said that with my current OS I doesn't need or cannot run the
> Update
> because OS 9 doesn't need them or something like that, and with
> TomeVeiwer I
> don't know where to look for the ROM's or Tome's.
> I heard someone else say that If I re-install OS 9 while in Linux that
> will
> fix the problem, but I guess I don't' know how that will work
> considering OS
> 9 and Linux or 2 different OS's, and since I can't access my Mac hard
> drive
> while in Linux yet I don't know how I would be able to re-install OS 9.
>
>> From: "David C. Hacker, DVM" <dhacker@westriv.com>
>> Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:06:14 -0700
>> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>> Subject: Re: MOL ROM for New World OS on Old World Mac's
>>
>> Have you went to www.maconlinux.com?  They have a tool there called
>> tomeview and an ethernet update package there.  If you download the
>> ethernet update package and open it with tomeview there is a copy of a
>> rom file in it that you can use to run OS 9 on your old macs in MOL.
>> There are directions there too.
>>
>> David C. Hacker, DVM
>> 212 N 1st St #2
>> New Salem, ND 58563
>> (701) 843-8179
>> On May 4, 2004, at 6:11 PM, Schwarzkopf, Eric wrote:
>>

>>> Has anyone had any luck with running MOL for the following type of
>>> Mac: New World OS (OS 9.1 - yes OS 9 is considered New World), and
>>> Old
>>> World Hardware (PowerComputing PowerCenter 150, with a Newer
>>> Technology G3 PCI Upgrade card, XClaim-3D PCI video card, and 192MB
>>> of
>>> RAM, and 4x12 CD-Burner) or similar hardware, mostly concerned with
>>> OLD World Hardware with New World OS compatibility...
>>>
>>> (Please do not respond if you either have ALL Old World, or ALL New
>>> World Mac's)
>>>
>>> Everything I have found that talks about Old World is talking about
>>> OS
>>> 8.6 or older and of course the older hardware that runs it as well,