yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1499 - Message 2

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 15 15:04:00 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 14:01,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:17:54 -0400
From: Andrew <virgule88@videotron.ca>
Subject: Re: Cannot change volume in xmms
To: yellowdog-general <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 11:58, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Andrew:
>
> Thanks for your response:
>
> Andrew wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 21:51, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> >>I cannot change the volume in xmms
> >> [...]
> >>Any help?
> >
> > Sure, click 'Configure' button under the Output Plugin then click
the
> > 'Mixer' tab and make sure the 'Volume controls Master not PCM' is
> > checked.
>
> Darn! That did nothing. Any other ideas?

Double darn! How is your input plugin configured?

> Best wishes,
> Clint

--__--__--

Hi Andrew:
Sometimes a problem blamed upon xmms and other programs like it actually
have to do with the Volume Control application found under the Sound and
Video menu which appears upon clicking the Yellow Dog Icon found on the
desktop.  So check that the Volume Control app is open and then make
sure that the volume switches do not have mute checked and that they are
at a level which you can hear.  You may find other switches at a low
setting; raise these as well.

Of course, this is all easier to judge if you have a cd inserted and
xmms is set to play the list or shuffle or whatever you wish.  Check to
make sure that the xmms volume switch or bar is at a level which you
prefer.  Remember that not all xmms skins show the controls in a
standard manner; some of them are artistic to such a point that a lot of
intuitive interpretation has to be part of your abilities already.

For instance, I use the spacestation xmms skin; the volume control, as
well as the control for left and right bass, etc. is indicated by a very
slim white extremely thin line.  It can easily be mistaken for highlight
of a border of the skin itself.  However a closer look, if you double
the size and look at the skin design it will be clearer that underneath
there are a range of vertical bars of increasing height (indicating
increasing volume) and other vertical bars ranging from small to large
and from large to small again (indicating the left and right balance
controls).

Since you can change the skins as often as you like it is a matter of
choosing a shape or form which makes sense to you.  If you like being on
the artsy side of xmms then go to www.muhri.net go under tips & tricks
and read the answer to the question regarding the "MP3 player" in use.
His answer includes links to some really forward looking or "outlandish"
designers.  Try them out to your taste.  Best wishes...