Terrasoft appears to be taking order for YDL 4.0 now

David Orlovich david.orlovich at botany.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 4 18:54:08 MST 2004

Yes I must agree here too - I like YDL - it was the Linux Disto I "cut
my teeth" on, but Debian is not as hard to install as you might think
(just download the testing installer - it worked easier for me than any
other PPC distro I've tried), and keeping Debian up-to-date is a breeze
with programs like aptitude.  Debian's testing (sarge) version is much
more up-to-date than YDL 3 and I suspect it will continue to beat YDL
4.  I'm not advocating abandoning YDL - more diversity is good - but
Debian is well worth a try, and it's the "free-est" distro I know of.
David.

On 5/11/2004, at 2:45 PM, Jim Ricken wrote:

>               Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> <><><>I haven't used the other Linux distros on the Mac but I suspect
> that they're not quite as polished as YDL.
>         Excuse me,But I need to put my 2 cents in.
>         IMO  Debian for ppc is polished a lot better than YDL and they
> still support the old world  mac people.
>         I am running Debian "Sarge" on my Mac 8600,I  also have the
> latest software installed also  such as Evolution,Firefox, Open
> office.
>
>         So Debian for ppc beats YDL hands down,even though Debian is
> tougher too install,but once you have it were you want it,it is
> wonderful.
>         (Sorry about beating  up on YDL)
>                                                                  Jim

Dr David Orlovich,
Senior Lecturer in Botany.

Department of Botany,
University of Otago,
P.O. Box 56,
(Courier: 464 Great King Street)
Dunedin,
New Zealand.

Phone: (03) 479 9060
Fax: (03) 479 7583

Web: http://www.botany.otago.ac.nz/

Ecology, Conservation and Biodiversity Research Group:
http://www.otago.ac.nz/erg/

Botanical Society of Otago: http://www.botany.otago.ac.nz/bso/