Ubuntu 4.10

Brian Barr barr at coastal.ufl.edu
Sat Nov 13 13:00:40 MST 2004

On Nov 13, 2004, at 2:00 PM,
yellowdog-general-request at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> Fellas,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu on my old iMac G3/333 while I wait for YDL4 to
> arrive, and I'm surprised at how well it runs.  Installation was
> effortless; it recognized my Airport card immediately.   Synaptic runs
> great.  Virtually no configuration involved.  Very nifty.
>
> Fran

I also got bored this weekend and replace my YDL install with Ubuntu on
my PowerTower Pro (200 Mhz 604), an 'unsupported' machine.  Install was
pretty easy once I figured out:

1) 'modprobe mesh' got my cdrom drive to work
2) 'modprobe mace' got my ethernet card working

Now I have a slick old box running 2.6.8!   The only hitch is (still)
getting my Voodoo3 card to work with hardware acceleration...anybody
got any tips on where I can find a package that provides tdfx_dri.o and
libglide3 for powerpc let me know!