Fedora Core 3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 17 02:01:21 MST 2004

On 11/11/2004 08:08:36 AM, Ryan Nix wrote:
> Definitely the right list.  :)
>
> Just wanted to let eveyone know what they have to look forward to
> when YDL 4.1 comes out or, if they switch to one of the PPC distros
> that already has Gnome 2.8.
>
> I probably screwed up the settings then, because I changed around the
> preferences in Xine and Mplayer.  No wonder it doesn't work!

While it doesn't play DVD's (that functionallity seems to have been
disabled by the developers, even with the right plugins) you should
check out the gstreamer-backend totem that is now part of fedora core.

It's not installed by default, so you may have to "yum install totem"
The totem on freshrpms is xine backend, but the fedora totem is
gstreamer backend - and gstreamer is probably the media format of the
future for Linux.

I have several gstreamer plugins for fc3 at http://mpeters.us/linux/
fc3_gstreamer.php - totem is extremely capable with gstreamer plugins -
perhaps maybe not as capable as the xine backend totem, but plugins is
definitely the right way to do things, as you can add capability
without needing to rebuild the media player (just install the plugin -
like how QuickTime works)