YDL4 on an iBook G3

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Nov 18 00:47:06 MST 2004

After seeing a G3 iBook running Ubuntu do exactly this after replacing
pmud with pbbuttonsd, some diagnosticking under YDL4 is in order. Try
this: Boot into single user mode, type "service start pbbuttonsd" and put
the machine to sleep. See if it wakes up under those conditions. If it
does, as the the Ubuntu machine did, the problem is caused by one of rcX.d
scripts for your default runlevel (either 3 or 5) that run before the
start script for pbbuttonsd, which means you'll have to "service start ..."
them one at a time in the proper order, putting the machine to sleep after
each one.

A possibly related problem is pbbuttonsd hanging upon sleep until reboot
after using the volume control keys, but the wake-up problem should be
figured out first.