Need help perfecting Video Capture

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sat Nov 27 09:15:27 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 16:44, hFusion wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am having a little problem perfecting video capture on my YDL mac.  I
> am currently trying to setup my old Formac ProTV II video tuner under
> linux so I can capture video.  This is one of the reasons I installed
> linux to begin with since Formac DID NOT develope drivers for the ProTV
> cards for Mac OS X.  My setup is a Sawtooth based Power Mac G4 running
> at 400mhz.  I have recomiled a 2.4 kernel and included the Video4Linux
> drivers.  I installed xawtv and received the following
>
> [root at mainYDLmac xawtv-3.94]# xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.94, running on Linux/ppc (2.4.25-ben1-nwpmac1)
> can't open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l: open /dev/video0: No such device
> no video grabber device available
>
> I figure I simply need to configure it but I have no idea where to
> start.  Any assistance aould be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance.

A link to the device is, I think, the kind of thing you're missing on
your system. xawtv looks for "/dev/video0" all you need to do is to link
/dev/your_video_capture_device to /dev/video0 as follow:

ls -s /dev/??? /dev/video0

You can find what ??? is with commands like there:
	dmesg | grep video
	dmesg | grep ProTV
	dmesg | grep Formac
	dmesg | grep tv
	..and so on...

 but 'kinfocenter' could ease your research :-)

Please, post your finding via 'dmesg | grep' here, then , I will show
you the correct /dev/??? entry to link.