The trouble with yum /installing Mol...

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 13:04:00 MDT 2004

Hi, what is it with Belgians and the Dutch and YellowDogLinux? :)

As you've figured out: the reason you're getting the 104 errors is that yum
is using the default server provided by YellowDog is overwhelmed (since it
is the default server for all installs).

I'd go back to the original yum.conf (if you still have it) and try adding a
line for each of the servers (and commenting out the default ones with a #
sign at the start of the line).

This is what my yum.conf looks like (care of WebMin... allows me to access
my machine when on computers lacking ssh):

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/
baseurl=http://ydl.osuosl.org/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/
baseurl=http://ydl.osuosl.org/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/

[fresh]
name=Somebodies fresh updates
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/

PS Adding the "Fresh" updates allows you access to FireFox and Mozilla 1.6
(vs. the 1.4 that comes with the machine). For FireFox: yum install FireFox,
for Mozilla: yum update (or is it upgrade?) mozilla.

Since you're on dial-up things are going to take forever to d/l.

PS For MOL I developed my own solution to the problem of getting it to run
(the default MOL YDL install _does not _ work out of the box).

Rather than fixing MOL to work with the kernel I fixed it so that the kernel
would work with MOL. MOL 0.90.69 (the one with YDL) has its mol-kmod built
using the 2.4.blahblah.22fSMP kernel.

The kernel installed with YDL is .22f (the single processor version). I
merely replaced the .22f kernel with .22fSMP (there are lots of sources of
info on how to replace kernels out there... not that hard, especially on Old
World Beige G3 or 604 machines) and it works (the kernels are found in
/boot).

On my Beige G3/266:
>uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.22-2fsmp #1 SMP Sun Nov 9 16:00:18 EST 2003
ppc ppc ppc GNU/Linux

for hints on getting YDL 3.0.1 working with MOL (not doing things my way) by
doing a recompile.

Eric.