AppleTalk on Linux

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 19:26:55 MDT 2004

Wow. Getting AppleTalk running on Linux was as easy as 1-2-3. I would've had
more headaches getting FileSharing going on an OS 9 Mac!

All I did was fireup WebMin and turned on atalk! Both our OS 9 and OS X
laptops logged in through an 802.11b network (well, the base station is a
NetGear 802.11g but both cards are 802.11b... I didn't think NetGear
supported AppleTalk over wireless but I guess they added that feature in the
624). Maybe having Samba turned on smoothed the way but I don't think so...

Setting up the server portion seems hyper-easy now that I know a little bit
more than nothing! If I were to re-install I think I could actually get away
with doing a bare-bones server install and the one and only non-base install
thing I'd install would be WebMin (why YDL doesn't ship with it I don't
understand).

Once you've turned on WebMin there's absolutely no need whatsoever to
physically come into contact with the computer, _ever_ (provided you want to
run it as a server and it doesn't "panic"). Well, I suppose if you know
linux inside out the same would apply... but, I'm lazy so I'll go the WebMin
route!

Eric.

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.