Repair - Reinstall - Restore

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Oct 6 12:28:33 MDT 2004

Assuming there are indeed some holes in your disk, you could try the
following scenario:

rpm -Va --nogroup --nouser --nomtime --nomode

to check which installed packages are changed since installation. It's
still up to you to decide which files are effectively damaged from this
list and which ones were deliberatly changed.

For those files which you consider damaged, a

rpm -q --whatprovides <file>

will give you the package name(s) that should be reinstalled

rpm -e --nodeps <package name>
yum install <package name>

to reinstall a clean version of the package.

For some packages you will have to do some configuration afterwards.

I am aware that this is a procedure with a lot of manual work, but if
reinstalling is not an option, it could be of help.

Good luck,

Geert