KDE, GNOME and older Power Macs

David Wadson wadson at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 19 06:41:38 MDT 2004

On Monday, October 18, 2004, at 09:56  PM, GDB-B&W-X.3.5 wrote:

> I can only speak about the 7200, but I ran the previous version of YDL
> on it some time ago with 64 Mb of RAM and it was extremely slow.  Too
> slow to be considered a viable machine in my book.  YMMV.
>
> Just a message from Doug...

Some of the 7200s also have flakey onboard ethernet along with the slow
601 processor. About the only thing they have going for themselves is
the great case design. The 8500s and 4400s have to be practically
stripped right down in order add some RAM. Made all the more fun by the
old plastic in the 8500s having a tendency to crack. The 4400s with
their metal chassis are more durable but there's some sharp edges. Only
Mac that's ever made me bleed. :-)

Dave Wadson
IT Manager
The Chronicle-Journal