Mounting a Remote AppleShare

Ken Schweigert shawing at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:56:24 MDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:10:45 -0500, John C. Welch <jwelch at bynkii.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/04 9:06 AM, "Jim Hart" <jhart at bates.edu> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, YDL 3 doesn't seem to have a
> > mount_afp command, and mount doesn't understand the type 'afp'.
>
> Then you're kinda screwed for mounting AFP drives unless you can build your
> own AFP. HFS is only going to work for local HFS drives, not AFP shares.
>

> john

It appears as if there is a 'tool' to mount AFP but it requires a
kernel module.  It's called 'afpfs'.  I found it off of this link:

http://mlug.missouri.edu/presentations/20-january-1999.html

It can be downloaded from:

http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/mirror/

My initial attempt to compile it failed.  I didn't have much time to
debug it, but here is what I got if anyone wants to see if they can
get it to compile:

[ken at ydl afpfs]$ make all
cc afpfs.c -c -D_POSIX_SOURCE -fstrict-prototypes -DDEBUG -DMODULE
-D__KERNEL__ -O2 -DDEBUG -o kernel/afpfs.o
In file included from afpfs.h:21,
                 from afpfs.c:29:
/usr/include/linux/atalk.h: In function `atalk_find_dev':
/usr/include/linux/atalk.h:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
afpfs.c: At top level:
afpfs.c:47: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:48: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
afpfs.c:239: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:240: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:241: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c:242: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSReadSuper':
afpfs.c:265: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c:309: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSPutSuper':
afpfs.c:351: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c:355: structure has no member named `s_mounted'
afpfs.c: In function `AFPFSWriteInode':
afpfs.c:472: structure has no member named `i_dirt'
make: *** [kernel/afpfs.o] Error 1
[ken at ydl afpfs]$
[ken at ydl afpfs]$ rpm -qf /usr/include/linux/atalk.h
kernel-headers-2.4.19-4a

-ken