A few things

Geert Janssens yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:12:27 +0200

Steve Roy wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2004, at 8:54 PM, Roger Scow wrote:
>
>> I'm a newbie, too, and can't make mol work.  BUT, I will take a stab at
>> some of your questions.  YMMV.
>

> As long as it's free. ;)
>
>>> - I installed Thunderbird using yum but it's version 0.6. I tried
>>> installing the latest 0.7.3 that I downloaded from mozilla.org but when
>>> I try to run it I get an error saying thunderbird-bin can't be
>>> executed. How can I get the latest Thunderbird running? Or is there an
>>> RPM of the 0.7.3 release available somewhere?
>>

>> If you d/l'd the i386 version of T-bird, it won't run on a PPC.  Try
>> FireFox.
>

> Firefox and Thunderbird are two different things. Firefox is a web
> browser, Thunderbird is a mail client, both courtesy of mozilla.org. I
> did download Thunderbird from
> <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/#install>.

That page is very unlikely to contain a version of Thunderbird for PPC
linux. You can download a version from:

ftp://ftp.de2.freshrpms.net/pub/linux/freshrpms/ayo/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms

At this moment, it's not the most recent (0.6.1, most recent is past
0.7.x by now).

As an alternative, you could add this url (or any of it's mirrors) to
/etc/yum.conf and then use yum install thunderbird.

Regards,

Geert