Weekly announcment for

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:46:30 MDT 2005

Regarding Gnome 2.10 using Firefox, i think your best bet would be
waiting until YDL is using whatever Fedora version is using Gnome 2.x
with Firefox.  Or at least until their testing packages of Firefox
become stable with version 4 (I'm totally guessing) AND it doesn't
squash my wee little head OR cause hassles with installing into YDL.
I'm guessing you're gonna get the same results using Mozilla as with
Firefox, as I'm sure Firefox is essentially a small GUI & stuff around
the same Gecko rendering engine.  Ok, I'll shut up now. :)

As for the flame regarding KDE and Gnome, I totally agree with the fact
that It's a choice through and through.  But because of the large usage
of their development libraries, you kind-of need to have both.  For
instance, I prefer Gnome.  Most things I use are Gnome based.  But I
also use Kdar, which requires KDE.  Just be thankful that YDL comes
with both (I heard a major distro dropped one from their distro, but I
can't remember details.)  and you're just a "switchdesk gnome" or
"switchdesk kde" or "yum install switchdesk-gui" away from choosing
your default.  And if you can't stand either, more choices are on the
horizon.  WindowMaker is already in YDL Extras Testing branch, and XFCE
4.2 is on my list of future submissions to the Extras.

Ok, I'll shut up again :)

- --Andy

- --
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

- --The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register