MySQL-4.1.11

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Thu Apr 7 14:36:05 MDT 2005

I have upgraded MySQL to version 4.1.11 using the SRPM from the MySQL
WEB site. In an earlier post I described what additional steps are
required to upgrade MySQL from version 3.23.58-9 to 4.x.y so I will not
repeat that discussion here.

Observations:
------------
* The current source builds and installs the NDB cluster components by
default.

	http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/

The NDB cluster software is approaching a level of stability that will
allow "early adopters" to run high availability [99.999%] data clusters
with no single point of failure.

* MySQL Connector/J 3.1.x [a separate package]

	http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/j/

is now "cluster aware" and comes with some built-in, rudimentary load
balancing mechanisms. This JDBC connector is known to work with the
standard set of application servers, including JBOSS.

* The "tee" command in the MySQL client, which is used to write command
line I/O to a file, had finally been fixed for linuxPPC's.

* Perl DBI / DBD modules are now MySQL-4.1.x compatible but are not yet
"cluster aware".

* PHP-5.0.x is mysql-4.1.x compatible and is reputed to be "cluster
aware" in that it supposedly can load balance against multiple back
ends.

I cannot verify this because I cannot get 5.0.4 to run on my system due
to our favorite PPC error

        PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
        '/usr/lib/php/modules/mysqli.so' -
        /usr/lib/php/modules/mysqli.so: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at
        0x0cbae510 for symbol `__stpcpy' out of range in Unknown on line
        0

Grrrr...

Sure hope "we" upgrade glibc some time soon.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net