All right, put it this way (was Re: Can FC4.ppc ...)

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 7 12:39:11 MDT 2005

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 09:04:21 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 22:40, beartooth wrote:

>> Then how do I get YDL4, installed & updated & running fine, to boot to
>> ANY CD not from Terrasoft? [....]

> Sounds like you need to:
>
> (1) edit /etc/yaboot.conf to support booting from a CD (2) run
> /sbin/ybin -v to re-install the yaboot loader to the bootstrap
> partition.
>
> Here is an example of yaboot.conf:

[My reader reformatted that along with something I wanted it to, and I've
tried to restore it to match mine -- if your formatting below looks wrong
in a significant way, that may tell us something.]

> # yaboot.conf generated by anaconda
>
> boot=/dev/sdb2
> #ofboot=/dev/sdb2
> init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux! Hit <TAB> for boot options."
> partition=4
> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> delay=10
> enablecdboot
> macosx=sdc:6
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1smp
> label=linux-ydl
> read-only
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1smp.img root=/dev/sdb4
> append="rhgb quiet"
>
> In this example:
> * booting from a CD has been enabled

Hmmm .... Mine also has the line enablecdboot right after the delay.

It says it boots to /dev/hda2, but I suppose that's a difference between
your machine and mine -- as is the fact that I have no OSX installed. It
lacks the line about ofboot, but since that's commented out, I don't
suppose it matters, right?

My vmlinux is 2.6.8-1.ydl.7, with nothing about smp; maybe I need to do a
separate "yum update kernel"?? initrd also has the same numbers as image,
and also no smp.

I don't have the rhgb quiet line; I certainly don't want the newfangled
GUI substitute for boot messages; but I've managed to suppress it some
other way ...

> * OSX is installed on SCSI disk C, slice 6 * YDL-4.0.1 is installed on
> SCSI disk B, slice 4
>
> After editing/correcting your /etc/yaboot.conf file,

So, since I already have the "enablecdboot" line, do I want to edit the
file at all? If so, how?

> run as root:
> 	/sbin/ybin -v
>
> Use the "-v" flag [verbose] to how things are "blessed".

I'll hold off running that till I see your reply. Many thanks so far!

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;