Its not 'multi tasking' anymore? LONG

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sun Feb 13 17:35:43 MST 2005

Agreed... With ever bigger, faster, stronger, ..., computers, engineers
don't need to be as careful as they used to be. When in doubt, throw
more hardware at the problem.

Presently,  YDL-4 runs Gnome-2.6, and DBUS,  but not HAL. I spent some
iterations last month with David Zeuthen, the maintainer of HAL, to get
HAL working under YDL-4. The GNOME folks require it for 2.8.2.1, which
is the current stable version

It would be an interesting exercise to determine the impact of these
agents on things like disk I/O and task switching. When I get some free
cycles I will think about some metrics. Happiness could be a set of
monitoring and tuning tools for YDL like those developed by Adrian
Cockcroft and Richard Pettit for SPARC. There are linux ports of sar and
the various "stats", io, vm, mp. Still, not quite in the same class.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net