Installing YDL 4 on a Powerbook G4

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 08:04:06 MST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:11:25 -0500, Derick Centeno <aguilarojo at verizon
> > I have tons of complex data on my Powerbook. Videos, MP3's, Mails,
> > Apps, Database data and so on. But from what I have heart I have to
> > resize my partition and make space for YDL. And the only solution is to
> > buy an app which does this for me. I a Mac forum they gave me a link to
> > a product which i able to resize my Partition without loosing data. But
> > this app costs $ 50. A bit too much for a student. :)
> >
> > Is there any other possibility?
>
> I'll be shortly getting a PB myself.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is an
> easy or neat solution other than coughing up the $50.  There is an
> alternatively though it may cost you more money...I'm sure you really wanted to
> here that.  But it would save your PB drive from experimentation and resizing
> partitions, etc.  Besides keep in mind that Linux doesn't support Airport.

Linux DOES support Airport (802.11b). It does NOT support Airport
Extreme (802.11g).

Also, BACKUP your data. Even if you do use a partition resizing
utility it would be sheer folly to do so without having a FULL backup
of all your important data.

Besides, even for your day-to-day operations you should have a backup
(your computer gets stolen, there's a fire, the HD fails (quite
possible... there's a reason most HD warrantees are only 1 year ;-),
you get data corruption during an app crash, you delete a major file,
etc.)

If you have a PB G4 faster than 500 MHz I suspect you'll have an
in-built CD burner so... given that blank CDs cost only $0.30 CAD/CD
($0.25 USD; Euro 0.20; ) there's no reason (if you have a CD burner)
that you shouldn't back-up your most important data.

Eric.