Hidden files in Mac OS X (was: Mac Mini)

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 07:29:28 MST 2005

Mr. Flory:

RON FLORY wrote:
>  This is WAY, WAY off-topic, but I have a simple question.
> I'm a Linux user who is still trying to figure out the
> quirks of OSX.

Welcome to the Macintosh! You might be a candidate for one of the
several books discussing the Unix underpinnings of Mac OS X, like
_Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther_

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596006179/qid=1106316034/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/102-9295406-5524934?v=glance&s=books>

> I created a /opt directory to place scratch files into,
> but the OSX GUI will not display this directory in any
> file dialog.

Mac OS X tries to hide all but the files it believes the user should
need to know about (often, though not always, it is correct). To that
end, it honors a ".hidden" file at the root directory. You can see it in
Terminal.app:

Clinton-MacDonalds-Computer:/ clint$ cat .hidden
automount
bin
cores
Desktop DB
Desktop DF
Desktop Folder
dev
etc
lost+found
mach
mach_kernel
mach.sym
opt
private
[...]
VM Storage
Volumes

Notice that "/opt" is on that proscribed list. However, everything on
the list is fully accessible from the Terminal, so that should be useful
to you. If you *really* want to see a folder in a Finder window, go to
the Finder and select "Go to Folder" from the "Go" menu
(shift-command-G). You can then type in "/opt" and you will see a new
window open with the contents of the /opt directory.

> Is there a magic trick under OSX 10.3 to allow any/all
> directories on the internal system drive to be seen in
> GUI file dialogs?

Yes, there is a trick. Go back to the Finder, use the "Go to Folder"
trick to make your directory visible. Then drag the folder proxy (that
little folder emblem at the top of the brushed-metal window) into the
sidebar on the left. You will now have a shortcut to the /opt directory
in the sidebar which will be visible in all (most?) Open and Save dialog
boxes.

However, do you have a compelling reason to create a "/opt" directory?
This is my personal opinion, but why burden yourself with Unix/Linux
conventions in Mac OS X? If you want a spot for scratch files, you can
name it anything you want and locate it anywhere you want. You could
easily make a folder called "Temporary files for Ron" and place it
inside your user directory, if you saw fit. Mac OS X has its
conventions, but they make a lot of sense to novices and some experts.
For instance, applications are stored in a folder called "Applications"
(or "/Applications," if you will). To me, that makes so much more sense
than storing applications ("packages" in the Linux world) in different
directories named "/etc" or "/bin/" or "/etc/bin" or "/bin/etc" or
"/sbin/etc/bin/etc/foobar/bin/catbreath" or something else I forget (I
am not at my Linux box right now, so I probably have the names all wrong
:-) ).

Just my opinion, and you should feel free to ignore me if you have
better reasons (I would like to know them).

Good luck with mac OS X!

Best wishes,
Clint