Hidden files in Mac OS X (was: Mac Mini)

Brian McKee besomethingelse at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:51:08 MST 2005

On Friday, January 21, 2005, at 09:29  AM, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> Mr. Flory:
>
> RON FLORY wrote:
>>  This is WAY, WAY off-topic, but I have a simple question.
>> I'm a Linux user who is still trying to figure out the
>> quirks of OSX.
>> I created a /opt directory to place scratch files into,
>> but the OSX GUI will not display this directory in any
>> file dialog.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "we know what's best for you" Apple
:-)

remove the "opt" from /.hidden
(you will have to do as root - i.e. sudo vi /.hidden)

Then restart Finder
(probably easiest to log out and in again - you can change Finder so it
will 'quit' like any other program if you really want to)

Tada....

Brian

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.