JRE on 4.0.1

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jun 14 11:43:21 MDT 2005

If you get audio as root but not as a user, this may be indicative of
permissions problems. Are there any other uses of audio that work only as
root? Also, there is always the chance the particular applet on the web
that you are using for your tests just doesn't like Konqueror in any way,
shape, or form. Can you provide a URL to this applet?

There are many Java applets on the web that won't work with any 1.3.1 Java
because it's so old. Applets that require 1.5 or later are beginning to
appear here and there, too. Therefore, using the newest JVM available for
your platform is a practice that can minimize Java compatibility problems.
For YDL4 (including 4.0.1), the Java that should currently be used is IBM
Java 1.4.2 SR1a, unless you would like to take your chances with GCJ.

Let's review what is necessary to get IBM Java working on YDL4. You may
have already taken some or all of it into account, but you didn't go into
the details of what you did, so I will. First, one must create the file
that will set up environment variables for IBM Java. There are
instructions at:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_4.0/ibm-jre.shtml
Those instructions are not wrong, but they also do not cover all
situations. The page tells you to put two lines in the file. The first
line everybody will need in order for the installation to be found. The
second line is specific to G4 processors and should otherwise be left out
or adjusted accordingly. Details on what this line should say are at:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pow-apple.html
The file should also contain more lines not mentioned in the HOWTO, and
these extra lines should remove, if it's there, ".UTF-8" from the end of
the environment variable LANG and possibly LC_ALL, depending on your
setup. This isn't necessary for everyone, but you know it is for you if
you keep getting a sun.io.MalformedInputException all the time.

IBM's website for Linux Java currently has the following notice:
Note: Class 2 and Class 3 Verisign CA certificates in the JRE's cacerts
file in Java 2 Standard Edition 1.4.2, 1.4.1, 1.3.1, and 1.2.2 expired on
January 7, 2004. Please be sure to visit our security section to read
about updating these certificates. Thanks!
The link in that notice is:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/security/

An HTML-based user guide for IBM Java may be found at:
ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/library/eclipse/linux_docs.zip
The troubleshooting and diagnostics guide is at:
ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/jdk/diagnosis/diag142.pdf