SSH access to machine behind router

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 1 12:43:25 MST 2005

Gentlemen and Ladies:

Thank you for your help and encouragement!

B1smooth wrote:
> Have you resolved your router issue? If not...post the model
> number of your router and I'll tell you EXACTLY how to setup
> fowarding for ssh.

I report *SUCCESS*!

As was hinted in this forum, the solution was quite easy, once I knew
the trick. My router has a Web interface, and Port Forwarding was one of
the options. I chose to add a new port (port 22 for ssh was not one of
the defaults), and typed in my primary machine's local IP address
(192.168.0.2). Then, I waited until I got to work and typed "ssh
66.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the Terminal. I was rewarded with the RSA
authentification dialog, then asked for my password. A quick "ls" showed
me my Mac OS X home directory. I can also transfer files using an SFTP
client (Fugu for Mac OS X has my highest recommendation). I suppose from
the Mac OS X machine, I could ssh into my home Linux box for more fun
and games (not yet tested).

My only problem is with my ISP, who changes my IP address once or twice
an hour. I have a freeware Mac OS X widget called IPMenu that will
e-mail updates of my IP address to a chosen address, so this is a
partial solution. Does anyone know of a similar utility, widget, or
script that would have similar functionality for YDL (or Mandrake)?

Again, thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint