change monitor refresh rate to get rid of black border?

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Mar 2 03:57:10 MST 2005

On Wednesday 2 March 2005 02:31, steve s wrote:
> Hey
>
> I have been trying to rid myself of the black border around my monitor and
> have had no luck. I have an apple studio display and a rage 128 pro
> graphics card. The image is fine but the border isnt. I have tried
> Xautoconfig and that hasnt helped and I have had to revert back to my old
> XF86Config file each try. I looked on the ydl bulletin board and found a
> post from someone with the same problem. I looked harder and think i found
> the solution but dont know how to change and argument in bootX (where is
> it?). The person on the post wrote that they edited the kernel arguments
> line in bootX.
>
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=525&highlight=apple+studio+d
>isplay+monitor+refresh+rate
>
> I am pretty sure that the refresh rate needs to b changed.
>
> Any help?

Hi,

If you don't find bootX, that's probably because you are working on a New
World Mac, which uses yaboot for the boot configuration, instead of BootX,

To go short, edit /etc/yaboot.conf (or is it in /boot ?; I don't have a mac at
all now, so I can't check). There should be a section for the kernel you use
to boot. Add the arguments needed to the append line (arguments are space
separated, I believe).

After saving the changes, remember to run ybin as root, for the changes to
take effect upon the next boot.

Good luck.

Geert Jan
(Who can't wait for his Mac Mini to arrive, to get back into the YDL
experience).