Adding Users Issue

Dene Stringfellow spacemonkey at ridgedale.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 05:47:00 MST 2005

I have installed YDL 4.0 on the following system:

Apple B/W G3 400MHz 256Mb RAM

The YDL 4.0 server has 2x 10Gb IDE drives partitioned as follows:

hda                            hdb
--------------------------     --------------------------
Appleshare   - 1Mb
/root        - 256Mb           swap         - 256Mb
/boot        - 256Mb           /home        - 9.5Gb
swap         - 256Mb
/usr         - 5.9Gb
/tmp         - 1Gb
/var         - 2Gb

When I use the following command:

adduser -p <password> -n <user name>     (- the password is a
combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers)

the account appears to be created.
However when I try to login as that user I keep getting a login error
message.
I know I'm typing the name and password correctly. I thought I would
check /home expecting
to see user's newly created home directory, but surprisingly found /home
empty!

Could someone please explain what I have done wrong.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards