Webmin Issue

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:57:52 MST 2005

> On the first occasion: YDL 4.0 along with webmin-1.180.tar.gz,
> openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz and Net_SSLeay-1.23.tar.gz.
> And on the second occasion: YDL 4.0 along with webmin-1.180-1.noarch.rpm
> on its own.
>
> On both occasions I have been successfully able to ping this machine.
> However, whenever I try to connect to webmin from another machine using
> a web browser I cannot get a connection using either of the following:
>
> http://<ip address of YDL 4.0 server>:10000
> https://<ip address of YDL 4.0 server>:10000
>
> The browser just hangs there trying to get a connection.
> I did a search of the archives and found something about adding the
> following line to the /etc/hosts.allow file:
>
> sshd  :  ALL at ALL  :  ALLOW
>
> which I added and rebooted. This didn't appear to make any difference.

I don't think the partitions will make a difference.

Are you perhaps running a firewall that blocks 10000 or a router that
doesn't redirect 10000? I was able to access my YDL server from my
home LAN (I wasn't running a firewall) but not from the unwashed
internet. When I added the 10000 port to my router's list of permitted
ports I was able to log-in to my webmin server from outside as well.

Eric.