Okay Ill Admit it ... I'm still learning ...!

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Mar 6 18:36:42 MST 2005

> From: Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us>
> Date: 2005/03/06 Sun PM 07:05:34 EST
> To: yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: Re: Okay Ill Admit it ... I'm still learning ...!
>
> If they are updates, do not use the -i option. Use:
> rpm -Uvh /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/*.rpm
> Your original mistake was most likely not editing /etc/yum.conf to point
> to an Australian mirror (the mirror.pacific.net.au one is good) prior to
> issuing a "yum update" command. Don't use the default settings in that
> file.

In addition to what Mr. Gimpelevich advised I would recommend that your
yum.conf read as discussed in the YDL FAQ site, here's a link to one page which
may be useful:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/yum/Getting+your+Feet+Wet

If you want more information just type "yum", without the quotes into the
search field and follow on reading whatever comes up.

Although others have advised installing packages using the rpm command, as is
rpm -i, the problem in using that method is the fact that you would have to
know ALL the dependencies used by the packages you are trying to install and
install each dependent program separately also using rpm -i.  IT DOES GET WORSE
as some dependencies also have dependencies!  You may well forget in proceeding
with this process what you wanted to install in the first place!  The whole
point of using yum is that yum searches, finds and installs ALL the dependent
and interdependent packages FOR YOU.

To ANSWER your original question, after you have completed the update process,
as you reported you did, doing something similar to

#yum update __________

The _________ represents whatever package you updated.  Let's say you were
interested in updating xine...suppose you don't know what's available you could
do either

#yum check_update xine

or

#yum search xine

The search command will pull-up all plug-ins and other packages available and
which are already installed.  The check_update command will list which updates
are available and which are installed.  Make a note somewhere of the available
list which interests you and if it is listed as installed, then you can update
that package as in

#yum update xine_goom

or

#yum update xine*

the * is a neat trick as it will allow ANY and ALL xine related packages to be
updated that are available and not yet installed, without you naming any
explicitly.

If you just do

#yum update

yum will update whatever you have already installed.

After either process is complete there is NOTHING else to do as all the latest
repositories would have been searched for the latest packages/dependencies
which would have been then downloaded for you by yum.

If you want to double check that xine is in fact installed you could do

yum install xine

and yum would tell you that it is already installed and the package version it
has is the latest available package.  This step is only provided for those who
feel good in double and triple checking things.

Best wishes...