[OT] rant about sharing content wasWiki-wiki-wiki!!!

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 16:13:42 MST 2005

--- Daniel Gimpelevich <> wrote:

> Nobody is disputing that all the info necessary is already on the
> web, and
> it's far more complete and accurate than anything concerning
> Ubuntu. There
> does not yet exist any method to search what's available that would
> be
> one-stop shopping for those that keep asking the same questions
> over and
> over.

I beg to differ, it's called http://www.google.com or any other
search engine.

 There is no means of content sharing among the mailing list,
> the
> forum, and the FAQ. The object here, unfortunately, is to give
> someone a
> fish, not to teach them to fish.

I worked through my undergrad years in the archives of the university
library.  The information can be right in front of someone, but if
they don't know what they're looking for it'll escape them.  Using
your fish analogy,  just because you give someone a fishing pole
doesn't mean they'll catch a fish.  And the best fish are not cheap
or easy to catch.  Ask any Alaskan crab fisherman.

> YDL has outgrown its current
> fish-distribution network.....

Again using your analogy, you can sit around waiting for the fish to
fall into your lap.  Or you can go fishing for the information.

PS.  I don't care about Ubuntu, in my original post there was a ;)
next to my crack about it.  In other words, a joke.

--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar