[OT] rant about sharing content wasWiki-wiki-wiki!!!

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:59:55 MST 2005

> > Nobody is disputing that all the info necessary is already on the
> > web, and
> > it's far more complete and accurate than anything concerning
> > Ubuntu. There
> > does not yet exist any method to search what's available that would
> > be
> > one-stop shopping for those that keep asking the same questions
> > over and
> > over.

Although... the Ubuntu FAQ(s) is/are growing rapidly and it is a
fairly faithful Debian-based distro so all the documentation available
for Debian is fairly relevant.

> > YDL has outgrown its current
> > fish-distribution network.....
>
> Again using your analogy, you can sit around waiting for the fish to
> fall into your lap.  Or you can go fishing for the information.
>
> PS.  I don't care about Ubuntu, in my original post there was a ;)
> next to my crack about it.  In other words, a joke.

I still don't get the whole "my" distribution is better attitude.
They're all just about the same with a few relatively minor
differences (well, ok, the differences aren't all that minor but to
someone who knows what they're doing they're all about the same).

As for Ubuntu... I don't claim or think it's the be all and end all of
Linuxes on PPC, but it certainly is something that I'm sure Terrasoft
will keep a close eye on (if they're smart they will... it's the
top-ranked distro on DistroWatch now and they're about to get a whole
lot of extra "free" publicity since they're releasing their next
version soon).

I'm wondering if Ubuntu might help YDL in the long run by attracting
more people to Linux on PPC. Ubuntu is the product of a software only
company whilst TS derives (IIUnderstandCorrectly) most of its profit
from hardware value-added sales & support. Eventually, (theoretically)
TS could explore expanding its hardware offerings to include
Mac-value-added-reseller with Ubuntu + support. Since Ubuntu is also
100% FLOSS TS could do so legally *and* do so without competing
directly with Canonical (since C is software & TS hardware). This way
TS could cover two two of the largest "mother-distros", Fedora Core &
Debian.

Anyway... just some thoughts.

Eric.