Snes9x, Sound and Playing CDs

steve s s_sandrussi at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:52:00 MST 2005

Hey again

My model is Apple Power Mac G4 500 AGP.

My old modprobe.conf  (no sound only in snes9x)

alias eth0 sungem
alias snd-card-0 dmasound_pmac
install dmasound_pmac /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install dmasound_pmac &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove dmasound_pmac { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove dmasound_pmac
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

my new modprobe.conf (system sound, snes9x sound but no sound when playing
audio cd)

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14* soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-powermac

# OSS compatibility alias
alias sound-service-*-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-*-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-*-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-12 snd-pcm-oss

install snd-card-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-card-0 && {
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }
remove snd-card-0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-card-0

install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 && {
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }
remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >>/dev/null
2>&1 || :; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove sound-slot-0

Did i do the right thing by rpelacing my old modprobe.conf file with the one
in the link given to me? Are there any other changes I should make?

I got system sounds (snes9x,gaim and KPPP when I cant connect) now but I
cant play audio CDs in the cd drive. All i can do is use rhytmnbox to rip
the songs from the CD into .ogg files and play them from the HDD. Is this as
far as I can go?

Thanks again.