How resume Airport Base Station under YDL4 only?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 10 12:55:48 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:14:59 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

> Are you trying to connect the iBook to the wired router via Ethernet? If
> so, the sungem driver should work (I assume it's one of the white
> iBooks).

Hmmmm .... What's a sungem driver?

I can't even tell for sure whether we're on a wavelength. Maybe a little
more detail will help, since this is part of a larger project.

I'm hoping, eventually, with lots of help from the Net, to set up a home
LAN, with an old (1998) pentium2 as mailserver, fileserver, and maybe some
other functions. (It was going to be a printserver, too, but I found a
little (cigarette-pack-size!) dedicated printserver from linksys that goes
between the router and the printer ...)

With the wireless router next inside the cable modem, as it wass till
today, I didn't see a way to make the iBook connect through the server
*and* the router, instead of just the router.

With the antenna downstairs, however, whether a Base Station or just the
same old wireless router, I'll be able to run cables from the wired router
to the server to the wireless (whichever) -- once the server is
configured.

Then the iBook (which has a white cover, yes; bought from Terrasoft in
August '02) will connect wirelessly with that antenna, from there to the
server (when it's done; meanwhile, from the antenna over an ethernet cable
to the wired router), and only then on out to the Net.

So for the present it will connect both wirelessly *and* over ethernet, on
two successive legs of the connection. Later there'll be two wired legs
after the wireless one, one on each side of the server, once that is
between the router and the antenna.

Am I making any sense? Is all this needlessly Rube Goldbergian?

Anyway, what I'm fumbling toward is part of getting all the hardware to
talk to each other -- an intermediate stage that I'd like to think I can
do now.

I wouldn't much mind configuring the Base Station via the iBook's and its
antenna instead of with a temporary cable from it to the iBook -- nor
configuring it from my wife's PC instead; that connects strictly by
ethernet cable.

I just thought doing it that way would be safer in case anybody happened
to be wardriving while I'm doing it. (I live in a town with thirty
thousand bright impecunious young engineers looking for challenges.)

> Resetting a Base Station actually erases the device's firmware. After
> that, it must be connected via (crossover) Ethernet to a computer whose
> IP address is 192.42.249.15 and whose gateway is 192.42.249.13,

You mean I have to make my Base Station use those strings to
communicate with the iBook?? Or vice versa?? Or my wired one with the Base
Station?? I can't imagine how. My router is 192.168.1.x, and my cable
modem 192.168.100.x ; I thought those were standard.

Or do you mean those as actual addresses? Trying to browse to
http://192.42.249.15 times out.

> which can run the following:
> http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/ You must obtain the
> firmware for your model from the link on that page,

The underside of the base station says Model number M8840; I don't see
anything like that on that page, nor anything like all their code words on
my base station. And, btw, putting the cursor on one of their blue lines
of text shows something like a URL, only beginning "file:///" instead of
"http://" -- but nothing happens when I click on one.

> and re-upload it to the Base Station, after which "public" will become
> the password.

Re-upload how? Supposing I ever manage to find the right firmware and to
download it ...

> The process will take some trial-and-error, but once you configure the
> thing the way you want, you can reconfigure from any machine on your
> network.

I nominate that for understatement of the year. It sounds like it's way
over my head. :-(

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4