VDQ : Can I let a user restart Privoxy?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 18 15:03:11 MST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:39:43 -0500, Jurvis LaSalle wrote:

> The commands and files you need to man are sudo, visudo, and sudoers.
> Sudo allows an ordinary user to become another user to run a single
> command in a more secure manner than 'su -c'.  visudo is the command you
> use to edit the config file /etc/sudoers .
>
> You can configure sudo to allow your wife to run just the command in
> question. You can even restrict the arguments to the command that you
> allow. Here's what the line to add to /etc/sudoers might look like (but
> read the man page to make sure I'm not botching this).
>
> wifesusername	   localhost=/etc/init.d/privoxy
>
> Then she can type from the command line (or up-arrow to the time you
> typed it three days ago :-P ) :
>
> 	sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy restart
>
> then enter *her* password and the service should restart.  Use of sudo
> is logged in /var/log/secure.

Ah, yes, sudo .... <sigh> I remember sudo. I saw very early on that it was
something I needed.

Tried to start, and immediately discovered I'd have to learn a real editor
first -- not just pico/nano (all I know), but one of the big powerful ones
with lots of controls for all the power. Iow, a big project, not just
another step forward -- especially for one who doesn't and never likely
will write code. So it's still waiting for that round tuit -- maybe
someday while the world holds still I can take a month for it.

Anyone know of enough of a pons asinorum somewhere that would let me learn
just enough vi to use sudo? Is visudo it, by any chance? I don't remember
hearing of it before; and the man page is not exactly pellucid. But maybe
a chapter in a manual somewhere that explains enough of it for purposes
such as mine, for the intelligent but uninstructed reader?

I did look in the indexes of a dozen manuals. Only one even listed visudo.
That had a page, and got the idea across; but it didn't give me enough to
actually use it. I need something halfway between.

(Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking man pages. I'm even getting to the
point at last where I find one every once in a while that I *can* read, or
at least skim what I need out of. Maybe every week, even.)

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4