[ydl-gen] VNC server problems

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 12:58:09 MDT 2005

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out a VNC server problem. I run
'vncserver' from the command line. When I try to login whatever client
I try fails (including the "Remote Desktop Connection" client in YDL).

In the log for vncserver the following appears:

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan  8 2005 16:57:17
Underlying X server release 60700000, The X.Org Foundation

error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!
No VNC extension on display :1
X connection to :1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I'm wondering if it's one of three things:
1. vncserver is broken in YDL 4.0.1 (doubtful);
2. a configuration file has gone sour (I've deleted all files in
~/.vnc/, repeatedly);
3. because I changed NICs a firewall has become active on the YDL
server and is preventing connections from happening?

Any thoughts?

Eric.