[ydl-gen] Scilab for linux ppc

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 23:18:20 MST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 22:07:54 -0800 Warren Nagourney
<warren at phys.washington.edu> wrote:

> I tried yum using the "standard" repositories with no luck. In order
> to compile scilab, one needs g77 which also seems to be unavailable
> using yum. I am a little new to YDL (I was heavily into linux about
> 6 years ago, before OS X came on the scene. I couldn't stand OS9)
> and need to become accustomed to the better sources of apps for ppc
> linux. I would have thought that g77 was a standard app and would be
> in the popular places.

g77 is the standard GNU FORTRAN compiler, it is part of the same GNU
compiler collection that provides gcc.  It is often a separate package
though.  I have not looked at scilab, but I do know that the standard
autotools will search for about twenty different FORTRAN compilers when
it needs one to compile some FORTRAN.  Since TSS is heavily into super
computing and scientific applications, it would surprise me if you
could not find some suitable FORTRAN compiler somewhere in the yum
repositories.

Disclaimer - I have no YDL or PPC hardware to run it on, but I expect
to have them soon.  So the above is only guess work.