[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 on an OldWorld Mac

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 28 12:56:34 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:38 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Hi all, I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had YDL 4.1
> working reliably on an OldWorld Mac (Beige G3 to be specific)?
>
> Eric.

YDL 4.1 is not working on OldWorld macs from what we get off the
CDs/ISOs. The initrd is missing some important stuffs.. OldWorld is
ugly :( Besides that I used it for a whole hour before the nano-icons on
KDE's taskbar creeped me out. The clock applet vanished too.

See this post for some details:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2006-March/020316.html

This is the ramdisk I used on my OldWorld Beige G3: (5.8Mb download)
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=61552
You know this file is made with Ubuntu and is from a 2.6.12-10 kernel.
I worked for me It should work for you too.

Hey I am in Ubuntu right now so I am unable to test this but I think
this command, with config tweaks so mkinitrd will put our much needed
modules in, will output a proper initrd ramdisk.

/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.6.15-rc5.ydl.1

There must be a file somewhere to specify the modules that have to go in
the ramdisk.. I say so because this is all I done to get my ramdisk
mentioned above. So, check this wiki page out for clues on how to
proceed.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/OldWorldMacs
Let me know how it goes ok?