[ydl-gen] Attempted hack of FTP server

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 05:22:05 MDT 2006

Two months ago I asked a question regarding my ftp server and
attempted hack attempts.

Now I have two follow-up questions (well, actually they're
more-or-less the same questions):

Peter-Paul wrote in August that he was planning to create a perl
script to monitor log files and dynamically adjust the
/etc/host.deny/allow files to secure his system.

QUESTION #1 for Peter-Paul: Have you created a perl script to monitor
your vsftpd log files and block failed login attempts to vsftpd?

QUESTION #2 for everyone who knows vsftpd:

How do you activate the logging function? I've been scouring the help
documents and tried various settings to see if I could get vsftpd to
log failed logins (I managed to get file transfers working) and have
come up empty handed.

Background for both questions:

Attempted logins are continuing and I'd like to be able to stop them
to cut down on the (presumed) load they place on the computer (it's a
G3/266 ;-)... yesterday there were 23000 attempts from 64.251.10.105.

I've got the user accounts secured -- only one account is active and
both the user name and password are unique and unguessable, to say the
least (and, not displayed or used publicly anywhere AFAIK).

Eric