[ydl-gen] Attempted hack of FTP server

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Oct 21 06:31:28 MDT 2006

Hi Eric:

Why don't you try Open Source Tripwire (OST)?

You can read more about it here:
http://www.tripwire.com/products/enterprise/ost/

You can download it from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire

Once OST is operational it observes your system and provides reports
should any attempt be made to enter the system.  The reports include
details such as time of the incident, ports accessed and other events.
This allows you after you've digested the reports to close those ports
or take other preventive measures.  There are other security systems
that are open source as well.  There is an article which may help you
consider other options besides OST.  Here is that article:

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid39_gci1166741,00.html

Caveat:  Keep in mind that the author is discussing Linux running on
Intel and compatible boxes.  I can state that I've run OST within YDL
and it worked fine.  I don't run it now as I'm the only person who
accesses my YDL installation; also I have a hardware firewall which flat
out beats anything anyway.  It is situated between my incoming
high-speed broadband and my router.  You pay for it once and that's it.
It's not open source, but for the home or non-commercial user - it's
really a nice plus.  Here's the link to that technology if that
interests you:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/

Best wishes....