[ydl-gen] yellowdog-board.com is not functioning - Off topic discussion

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Apr 8 12:54:57 MDT 2007

Hi Frank:

Regarding the Board, I'm sure that you noticed this link:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

perhaps this also:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/faq.php

If you did, it is possible that you missed the hint that the Site
Admin and the System running the Board are in Germany!

While your sentiment is very well understood, at least by me, the
community of relationships which exists is just that -- a community.
The community, as a concept where shared interests exist, ends where
legalities, ownership and related issues begin to intercede.  One of
the regions where distinctions occur is in the area of ownership and
who is responsible for what, and for how long.

It is not practical, or even good, for any business to buy or
influence everything for the sake of convenience.  The system in
effect, although rather messy, disruptive and chaotic does guarantee
a degree of independence throughout each relationship.  And
individuals will comply accordingly with their unique understanding
and views regarding the kind of relationships they believe themselves
to be associated with.

If the Board in Germany is not functioning properly the rest of us
may feel concerned but all that can practically be done is write to
the same persons -- the System Administrators -- that everyone else
would write to.  There might be a phone contact somewhere who knows
someone to make things happen a bit faster, but that is assuming
quite a lot for two sites spread across the planet run by completely
different organizations.  One commercial and the other I imagine a
non-profit entity or community.

I have my own questions.  How is it that no confusion exists between
say Hell's Angel's bikers and Harley Davidson bikes?  Really, if you
think about it I've never heard of anyone writing to the Harley
Davidson company complaining the a local chapter of the Hell's Angels
has a peculiar difficulty.  Let me put the question differently.  Is
Sony or Nintendo supposed to get involved because a community of
gamers somewhere couldn't access the server run by a local club?
Being truly "helpful" changes as influence increases; usually
resulting in "help" transitioning to control.  This conundrum is
exactly where Microsoft has found itself; it is not an easy issue for
commercial entities to avoid.

That kind of close association can become a bit too close, to my
thinking.  Better that distinctions remain and diverse
responsibilities remain what they are.  The "open source" community
concept is morphing in many directions and services simultaneously;
however every commercial and non-profit entity in it's various forms
should attend to how their unique participation contributes to the
"community".  This is not as simple as it appears.  It's perhaps like
different partners of different dance styles being invited to a
party; how is it going to be all done such that no one gets hurt and
everyone enjoys the opportunity resulting of coming together in this
unique manner.

It's a work, or effort, in process or continuing evolvement.  Each is
free to refuse to participate; respecting this choice for whatever
reason is imperative.

Best wishes...

On Apr 6, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Frank Lyonnet wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I just wanted to inform you that it seems that the registration
> process at the “Community Forum“ http://www.yellowdog-board.com is
> not functioning properly (the problem has already been reported on
> this ML). Any message to the admin for manual account activation is
> returned as non delivered:
>

>       admin at yellowdog-board.com le 06/04/2007 14:13
>
>             Could not deliver the message in the time limit
> specified.  Please retry or contact your administrator.
>
>             <exch-ipanema.ipanema.local #4.4.7>
>

> Not to mention that a couple of weeks ago the forum site was
> completely down.
>

> Even though I understand this site is operated by a volunteer. I
> don’t believe this is a good practice to leave it in that state as
> Yellow Dog is currently attracting a bunch of new users through the
> PS3 release. A lot are directed to http://www.yellowdog-board.com
> quite easily through Google and through Terra Soft site. I guess
> more support from Terra Soft for this board could be highly
> beneficial for the image of YDL. This probably applies to this
> mailing list as well. I understand that a paying community/support
> exists: YDL.net, but I believe a Linux distribution cannot only be
> based on paying support …
>

> Frank

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

"Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom;
political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind
and a free market are corollaries." -- Ayn Rand, "For The New
Intellectual."