[ydl-gen] Petition to open RSX for "other OS"

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Thu Apr 19 08:22:56 MDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> So far the only official communication that we have is on a
> Terrasoft interview
> on the GDC earlier this year.
>
> Me personally I will only invest money on the PS3 IF the RSX gets some
> form of support. Otherwise I'll just stick with the PS2 Linux and
> eventually
> move to XNA.
>
> Sorry but I don't buy into the PS3 Linux better than PS2 Linux
> thing. The
> distribution is more up to date, true. However the PS2 version
> supports the
> hardware a way lot better (not 100% but better than the PS3 case).

I guess everyone has different priorities. I was looking for a Blu-
Ray player. The cheapest one I could find was the 20GB PS3, and I got
a great Linux box thrown in as well.

Even with only frame-buffer type video support the machine is fast
enough to push HD video to my 32" LCD via HDMI, so why would I need
anything faster? I don't want to play games or do fancy video effects.

I'm looking primarily to transcode MPEG2 files created by my Myth
system to various other codecs, and I don't need video output from
the PS3 to do that, I simply ssh into the PS3 and tell it what to do
with a command line. Even at this early point it is faster at
transcoding than my dual-core AMD FX60, by a significant factor.

If better graphics support comes along I'll certainly be happy, but
for the money I just don't see any better deals out there for what I
want. Sony is subsidizing me in the hope I will buy games, which I
won't, it's not often you get the better end of a deal with a multi-
billion-dollar corporation.

The only real potential problem to my mind is the power consumption/
heat output, but I can deal with that.

The only other problem is keeping my teenage nephews away, they seem
to think the machine was made to play video games or something.

I have machines with accelerated video, until now what I didn't have
was a cel engine to play with or a BR player :-)

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org