[ydl-gen] Petition to open RSX for "other OS"

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:45:57 MDT 2007

I agree with Brian. The combination of BD player and Cell platform is
hard to beat for the money. I personally find the linux hard to use
except via ssh, but I am very sensitive to the tearing and slow
refresh when moving windows (not to mention the fuzzy scaled video,
but this is not a speed issue).

I wouldn't exactly call the linux fast - the slow video combined with
a slow HD makes it about as fast as a linux I installed on a Mac 7600
(200 MHz 604e). I am surprised it can play HD video smoothly. Even
without RSX support, some use of the SPUs would be appreciated (about
85% of the chip is sitting idle).

Warren Nagourney