[ydl-gen] YDL 5 - first impressions

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Sun Jan 7 19:44:13 MST 2007

I have had YDL 5 up on my PS3 for a couple of hours and so far it is
fine for my purposes. I have no network connection since wireless is
not supported and it doesn't work with my ethernet cable for some
reason (my powerbook does work with it). Graphics are painfully slow,
but that is to be expected with no GPU acceleration.

  My monitor insists on scaling the video to full screen, so the
display is fairly painful to look at due to the fuzzy characters (I
wish scaling on my monitor could be disabled, but that is unlikely).
Since I will be using the PS3 as an X11 server (or is it client?) for
my development work, I will not be using the ps3 display anyway very
much (I probably will reduce it to 480p and use a cheap monitor).

By the way, I am not very impressed with the look of E17 (this is
entirely subjective) and would install WIndowmaker and Gnustep if I
were going to use the display very much.

The core reason for my interest in PS3 linux is the presence of the
Cell SDK. This was installed and I hope to get up to speed on its use
in a reasonable amount of time.

If one is not bothered by the graphics, this linux on the PS3 should
be very usable and even more so when wireless is supported (I am not
expecting graphics acceleration to ever be supported). The machine
should be a fine platform for learning about the Cell.

-wn