[ydl-gen] PS3 Install with no DVD burner

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 14 08:07:00 MST 2007

I installed Yellowdog on my PS3 last night without having to use a DVD
burner and thought I'd share the steps.

- Download the iso mount it and make it available on a network share
somewhere (local FTP/HTTP server, NFS etc...)
- Follow the normal steps in the docs to get GameOS to boot the installer
and get to the 'kboot' point.
- Copy ppc/ppc64/vmlinux-ps3 and ppc/ppc64/ramdisk-ps3.image.gz to a USB
memory stick.
-  On the ps3 type at the kboot prompt
    sh
    mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/tmp (or whatever device your usb stick shows up as)
    cd /mnt/tmp
    /sbin/kboot vmlinux-ps3 initrd=ramdisk-ps3.image.gz text root=/dev/ram
init=/sbin/init

This should reboot the ps3 in to the kernel on the USB drive and start the
installer.  It should prompt your for an installation source and allow you
to enter in a network configuration and the location that the YDL install CD
is available at.

(I actually mounted my USB drive over /etc since I tried to modify the
kboot.conf file but I don't think that is required)