[ydl-gen] silly compiler question for PS3

jmzorko at mac.com jmzorko at mac.com
Thu May 3 16:13:42 MDT 2007

Hello, all ...

So I read with great interest the recent Dr. Dobbs article about Cell
programming.  I came away from that article with two thoughts --
"wow, that thing is fast" and "eek, for all the code changes that
needed to be made to get it to perform that well, cross-platform
source is out the window".  So, my question is simple: Is the IBM XL
C/C++ alpha compiler for Cell (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/
cellcompiler/faq) the "Octopiler" i've read about, and if so, is this
the version that runs on YDL on PS3?

My thing being cross-platform source (we may be tasked with porting
some code we wrote, that currently runs on Windows x86, Linux x86 and
Linux / OSX PPC, to the PS3), i'm interested in how well the IBM Cell
compiler does the auto-parallelism and auto-SIMD thing, and if this
is the same IBM Cell compiler that will run under YDL on the PS3.

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com