[ydl-gen] Direct Rendering support for PS3

Reese, Shawn S. Shawn.Reese at gd-ais.com
Wed Nov 28 20:27:28 MST 2007

Thank for the reply Warren,

That's what I meant by direct rendering, using the graphics
acceleration.

But you say you can run OpenGL programs at a good rate.  Could you do me
a favor?  Can you run the "glxgears" program, and tell me the frame rate
you are getting?

With the direct rendering on an x86 with a Radeon 9250 I get 265 fps.
Without direct rendering, I only get 25 fps.

With no direct rendering on a G5 PowerMac running YellowDog, using a
Radeon 9600, I get 70 fps.  YellowDog doesn't support direct rendering
for the G5, or at least I can't get the drivers right.

That's what got me wondering about the PS3 graphics.  If it has pretty
good fps without rendering, it may be worth it to get one and hope
YellowDog supports those drivers later.  Or at least maybe Nvidia will.

Thanks again.