[ydl-gen] Radeon 9600 XT and dual head video

Rob Sanders rarob at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 17:51:21 MDT 2007

Hello all,
   Does anyone have some tips on how to get dual head video working with
YDL4.0.91 or YDL4.1 with
the Radeon 9600 XT?  My company purchased a 2ghz dual G5 tower in the
summer of '04 for me to
use, and I later bought it from them.  It came from TSS with the Radeon
9600 XT (the version with both
an ADC connector and a DVI connector).  I've used it for 3 years with
one monitor plugged into the DVI
connector.  I've been doing more work from home, and decided to get a
second monitor to use.  Both
of my monitors are 20" Sceptre X20WG LCDs.  The Sceptre's have both DVI
and VGA inputs.
   For the past 3 years I've used the DVI->VGA adaptor with one monitor.
  I am having fits getting YDL
to use *both* monitors.  OS X (10.3.9) does just fine.
   Before anyone asks, I'm using the older versions of YDL and OS X due
to some out-of-date compilers
that either are not supported anymore or just plain don't work under
new versions of either OS.
   Anyway, the connections are:
     Radeon ADC output -> monitor #1 DVI input
     Radeon DVI output -> DVI/VGA adaptor -> monitor #2 VGA input
     PS3 HDMI -> HDMI/DVI adaptor               -> monitor #2 DVI input

   Monitor #1 works just fine in 1680x1050 with thousands of colors, X
won't start in millions
The only working display I've gotten on the second monitor is during
boot, with some text
on a white background from the boot.  Once I try to start X, the
monitor reports no signal
detected and goes black.  Identical behavior between ydl4.0.91 and ydl
4.1.  I'm going to
try installing ydl5 on it when I get a chance to see if it does
anything better.
   Does anyone have any ideas for getting this to work (or even a "can't
be done")?

             Rob