[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 7 16:05:05 MDT 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:37:00 -0400, Bill Fink <billfink at mindspring.com> wrote:

>> I have been asked to join this thread as one of the few members of the
>> TSS staff that regularly work with Xserves. I have gotten a G5 Xserve to
>> successfully install configuring software RAID via the GUI interface in
>> the installer for /, /boot, and swap the Apple bootstrap partitions
>> cannot be raided.  Is this a G5 or G4 Xserve you are working with and
>> are you using a text installer or a GUI installer?
>> >>
>> Installing to a external device is not supported in YDL 5.0.x to the
>> best of my knowledge, so this option is also out in general but I would
>> be more then willing continuing to figure out why software RAID
>> configured in the installer is not working for you.
>
> Hmmm.  It was my understanding that installing to an external FireWire
> disk was supported in YDL 4.1 (haven't actually tried it myself).  If
> so, does this mean that this capability was dropped for YDL 5.0.x?

It was, but I was late to the dance forward porting those patches.  If I recall
correctly, it is a read-only/removable storage flag that gets set when a FW
hard disk is initially scanned that prevents it from showing up in the partitioning
gui screen.

It can be hacked out using the stage2.img rebuilding I posted earlier,
but I should have gotten it to Owen earlier.

-Bill